About our school
History of Mayfair Convent School
From the beginning of 1908, in response to another request from the Bishop, the Sisters of Mercy began to teach at a small school in Crown Road, Fordsburg.
At Fordsburg, the classes were taught in a large hall lent by Mr. Arthur Connelly, a baker and confectioner. This large room was well ventilated and when the Sisters took over on 29 January 1908, the wall had been freshly coloured and the floor scrubbed white. The seating accommodation was enough for about 40 children. All the classes were taught in the same room.
For the first six months the Sisters would walk to and from Braamfontein, where they lived. The Catholics of Braamfontein considered the walk too much for the teachers and organised a concert and dance which realized sufficient funds to buy a pony and trap. The pony was kept at the stables of Lion Brewery.
The Fordsburg district was a very poor one, but nearly all the pupils who attended paid a few shillings a month in fees. The Priest lent a room where music lessons were given twice a week at first, but later the numbers required two additional days and an additional Sister of Mercy. Those who started Fordsburg were Sr. Evangelist, Sr. M. de Salles, Sr. Gerard and Sr. Frances who taught music.
In 1909 Mother Colomba was sent to Fordsburg as principal and Sr. M. de Salles replaced her in Braamfontein. The surroundings were really unsuitable for the school, but many attempts to get a better site were in vain. However, in 1913, through the influence of Mr. Sheridan of the Revenue Department, whose sister was a member of the Mafikeng Community, (Sr. Ignatius Sheridan, who died in 1909) the present site in Mayfair was bought at a very reasonable price. There was not a single house then between the mine dumps and the Convent. Later the district grew into a popular suburb.
The Golden Jubilee of Mayfair Convent was celebrated in 1964.